This week’s Friends Focus is on one of our more recent additions to the Friends’ board of directors, Katrine Fantini.
Tell us a bit about yourself:
* My name is Katrine Fantini and I am a full time mother of an amazing six year old son. Currently, I am earning an associates in business administration at Delaware County Community College. I also am an estimator and an assistant administrator for Fantini Tile Corp.
What do you do (employment or for fun)?
* I enjoy spending time with close friends and family.
What first made you want to join the Friends’ Board?
* I had noticed the hours for the library had been reduced and I had learned about how the economy was affecting the library. I felt compelled to contribute in some way to help sustain our library. The library is a main staple in me and my son’s life, I don’t know what I would do if the library and all of its wonderful programs were not available. Becoming a board member of the Friends is allowing me to give back to a library that has provided so much to the community. It is an opportunity for me to show my appreciation.
What are your primary duties on the Friends’ board?
* Since becoming a board member, I have come up with some fundraiser ideas that I hope to make a reality. I am excited about developing and putting into place a terracycling program in all of the township’s schools that will help raise money for a great cause and help the environment at the same time!
What book do you most cherish?
* The book I cherish the most is any work written by my son and his baby book, of course.
I am a college student so I don’t get a lot of personal time to read during the semester, but a recent english class had allowed me the opportunity to read something other than a textbook. I read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls and I have to be honest, I had a really hard time putting the book down. What interested me most about the book besides the fact that is was a true story was how Jeanette, despite the tragic experiences she encountered and the unthinkable environment she grew up in, persevered and attained a successful life. I also enjoyed reading A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. The story was intriguing and I was very curious to see where the story was going and how things were going to end. I do enjoy reading and thanks to a few friends’ suggestions (and letting me borrow their books) I have some reading material lined up for when I am finished my current class and they are: Memoirs of a Geisha by Author Golden, Twilight and New Moon by Stephanie Meyer.
I really enjoy most of movies produced by Adam Sandler (Happy Madison Productions and Madison 23 Productions). Whenever I need a laugh these movies are always able to get some out of me. I also enjoy Disney and Pixar movies.
My favorite song is Fur Elise by Beethoven, I could listen to it on repeat forever. I enjoy all types of music, but some music groups/artists I could listen to anytime regardless of my mood are U2, The Fray, and Colbie Caillat.
I enjoy humoring myself with sites such as FailBlog.org, LolCat.com, and AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com. I prefer to use Google as a search engine. I also enjoy any website that will offer the best price and a low shipping cost for items I want to purchase.
I love cheeseburgers, Eagle Pizza’s plain pizza, grilled chicken salads, snacking on fruit, and I am vulnerable to consuming a box of Gushers fruit snacks without hesitation.
I am a running fiend.
I really like to build things out of with legos with my son, and sleeping is a personal favorite.
What brought you to the Havertown area? What makes you want to stay?
* My family moved to Havertown in when I was in the fourth grade. Havertown has a really amazing community. The people are friendly, the schools are phenomenal, the recreation department has so much to offer, and the library always has something fun and interesting going on. There is so much enrichment this community has to offer, it’s hard to imagine life anywhere else.
* Happiness is….the feeling of fulfillment.
Do you have any pets?
* I share a red eared slider with my son. I can’t claim the turtle as my own, my son helps out a lot.
Which is the best vacation you’ve ever had in your life?
* The best vacation I ever had was one I didn’t even know I was on…..my childhood.
If given a complete freedom to start afresh, what profession would you choose and why?
* If given the freedom to start afresh, I would have become a teacher. Having the summer off to spend with my son would be ideal.
If you were stranded on a lonely island, what are the five things that you would want?
* If I were stranded on an island, I would like to have (1) a manufactured home to live in, (2) free electricity, (3) free plumbing, (4) free internet service, (5) and an infinite supply of money to order things like hygiene products, food, clothing, and have them shipped to me.
What is your idea of perfect happiness?
* Perfect happiness is a feeling of fulfillment in life. Feeling content about who you are, where you are in life, and the choices you have made along the way. I feel as if I have attained my ideal perfect happiness.
What is your greatest extravagance?
* My greatest extravagance is my current occupation with my employer. The position allows me to gain experience in multiple areas of a business while allowing me to have the flexibility to be present in my son’s life.
Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
* Seriously?! ….I know, right!?
Which talent would you most like to have?
* The talent I would like most is the ability to read/do something once and remember it forever. I would save me a lot of time studying.
What do you consider your greatest achievement?
* My greatest achievement is any positive impact I have on someone or my community.
What is your most treasured possession?
* My most treasured possession is all of the photos and home videos I have of my son growing up.
Which historical figure do you most identify with?
* No one. Life is a journey and we take on admirable traits we see in others along the way, but at the end of the day we are each one of a kind.
What is your motto?
* Life is what you make of it.
Thanks so much, Katrine, for taking the time to answer all my questions! I hope you all enjoyed learning more about a Friends board member.